Having problem with stomach and gastroparesis. Having indigestion, nausea. Suffered emetophobia. Anxious. Need help.

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have had a lot of issues with my stomach lately. I have issues with lifelong anxiety. I am really scared I have gastroparesis. I get indigestion all the time and my stomach feels out of control. I go throuh spells where it gets bad and I get nausea all the time. While I was on my antidepressants my symptoms reduced but didn't go away completely. I went through a spell of 5 mths where symptoms disappeared. I have suffered emetophobia all my life. If I didn't have to eat I don't think I would have these symptoms.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take rabeprazole and itopride

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

For confirming the diagnosis of gastroparesis you need to get few tests:
1. Endoscopy examination to see for partial obstruction. However one may find acid peptic disease only
2. Gastric emptying studies or manometry
3.Also get thyroid function tests, blood sugar and serum calcium levels to see for the cause of gastroparesis or dysmotility

Among the medications:
1.Take a proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole and a prokinetic agent like itopride
2. Take antiemetic agent like ondansetron
3.Take less fibrous diet
4. Avoid fatty meals
5. take small and frequent meals

Further I will advise to take these medication and follow advise for few days, if not improved then get evaluated as I have advised

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Having problem with stomach and gastroparesis. Having indigestion, nausea. Suffered emetophobia. Anxious. Need help. 1 hour later
The indigestion occurs 3 hours after eating accompaninied by bowel issues like bubbling and gas. Does it sound like gastroparesis? My endoscopy and ultrasound was fine. I have been under a lot of stress and this seems to have triggered it again

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it doesn't like gastroparesis

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Gastroparesis has clinical symptoms like fullness in abdomen soon after meals, nausea and vomiting and weight loss. Bubbling due to gas production is slightly different from gastroparesis, bubbling and excess gas is produced due to intake of some indigestible or malabsorbed food which is digested by bacteria present in gastrointestinal tract and during this they produce large amount of gases. Foods like milk and milk products and artificial sweatners produce lots of gases so if these foods are worsening your symptoms then please avoid them. It's nice to hear that endoscopy and ultrasound both were normal. You are right overthere that stress have aggravated these problems for this just take some tablets like clonazepam

Follow-up: Having problem with stomach and gastroparesis. Having indigestion, nausea. Suffered emetophobia. Anxious. Need help. 14 hours later
at the moment my stomach feels pressure and gas and my bowels are very bubbly and I get empty feelings in my stomach. When I eat it gets worse and I feel nauseous. What could be causing this? I have tried proton pump inhibitors which haven't helped so far.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please let me know

Detailed Answer:
hello! Since how many days you are taking proton pump inhibitor?
Have you taken a prokinetic agent?

Follow-up: Having problem with stomach and gastroparesis. Having indigestion, nausea. Suffered emetophobia. Anxious. Need help. 25 minutes later
I took it a few months. I haven't tried prokinetic but I just want to know the cause.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
To know cause you have to undergo gastric emptying

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your concern.To confirm the cause you have to undergo test which I have mentioned earlier which is gastric emptying studies

Follow-up: Having problem with stomach and gastroparesis. Having indigestion, nausea. Suffered emetophobia. Anxious. Need help. 17 minutes later
Do you still think gastroparesis is unlikely? I'm going to get further tests but I want piece of mind for now. Could this all be caused by anxiety?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety can aggravate symptoms

Detailed Answer:
I doesn't appears to be a gastroparesis but one could or should not be absolute so to confirm it I have advised test known as gastric emptying studies.

Yes anxiety can aggravate symptoms, for which I have advised one medicine earlier clonazepam

Follow-up: Having problem with stomach and gastroparesis. Having indigestion, nausea. Suffered emetophobia. Anxious. Need help. 3 hours later
What do you think is the most likely cause of my symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dyspepsia due to acid peptic disease ordysmotility

Detailed Answer:
Hello!Dyspepsia due to acid peptic disease or dysmotility aggravated by anxiety is most likely cause of your symptoms

Follow-up: Having problem with stomach and gastroparesis. Having indigestion, nausea. Suffered emetophobia. Anxious. Need help. 13 hours later
Do these conditions get better and can anxiety be the cause or just an aggravation? Is dysmotility the same as gastroparesis?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes definitely these conditions will be better

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Yes definitely these conditions will be better, believe me, need not worry.

Anxiety only aggravates and precipitates these symptoms.

Gastroparesis is one form of dysmotility, as dysmotility also constitutes decrease, in crease in motility or change in rythmic pattern of motility of whole of the GI tract, while gastroparesis is decreased or absence of motility pattern in stomach only

Hope you will be better soon