Having problem with periods. Not able to conceive. Not enough cells shown in smear tests. Cervix is red. Is it cervical cancer?

Sep 2013

I have been having problems with my periods for a few months. I am really worried about not being able to conceive but I now have more problems. I have had 2 smear tests and they have not been enough cells to report on but my cervix is red so I am being referred for a colposcopy. I am worried to death I have cervical cancer. What does a red cervix mean?

I am actively trying to conceive had a ultrasound scan which shows numerous small follicles, blood work does not show PCOS as originally thought. I am attaching a couple of reports for you to look at.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Infertility and pap smear test.

Detailed Answer:

Redness of cervix may be due to,
Cervicitis a common infection (inflammation of cervix) due to ,
herpes simplex, mucopurulent, chlamydial . ,Gonococcal .So any type of infection .
Smear tests done 2 in number .Don't find proper cells .
Please note down that smear tests are done for evaluation of any descriptive diagnosis for Benign cellular changes ( may be due to 37 years age , but benign i.e.not cancer ), reactive cellular changes, epithelial abnormalities (till not proved, so why worry).
Colposcopy is used to identify visible clues suggestive of abnormal tissues.
Only just for precaution this test is necessary ,so don't a cause of concern.

Now about your bleeding report , this is abnormal , we call it irregular bleeding or dysfunctional uterine bleeding .
Cause is obvious Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease ( PCOD).
This will not interfere in conception, if ovulation occurs.

In my opinion follow these measures, these includes.
1 Take treatment for pcod or cyst in follicles . Conservative treatment is available and very much effective.
2 Take oral anovulatory infertility tablets or human chorionic gonadotrophin treatment injections .
3 When on treatment , regular study of follicle maturation will be important so get in at proper time .
In my opinion simultaneously take treatment of pcod and infertility . So for this consult a gynecologist and get his opinion and treatment .
As far as asthma and its treatment , this is not a cause of concern in infertility .
Hope I have answered your question. If further any question I will happily reply.

Good luck for conception. Dr. HET
Follow-up: Having problem with periods. Not able to conceive. Not enough cells shown in smear tests. Cervix is red. Is it cervical cancer? 3 hours later
I am overweight weighing 17.7 stone. If I lose weight do I have chances to conceive naturally?

What is a colposcopy? Will it hurt?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you would have more chances for conception

Detailed Answer:
Yes, this is the spirit; you came out from a trauma.
Obesity i.e. overweight is the characteristic feature of PCOD with irregular bleeding.
If you will lose weight, it will increase the chance of conception.
Colposcopy is nothing but an instrument through which we examine the cervix with our eyes i.e. physical examination by a doctor. No pain during the procedure.
Good luck for good chance.