Having problem with memory and unable to concentrate. What should I do?

Hi doc my name is Shiv and i am from Bangalore India.I am 29y male i having problem with my memory and my concentration.I am unable to concentrate on study and what so ever i study i forget ..It's not only study i am forgetting people name and some time's important words.My life is getting hell day by day.I am unable to concentrate on anything getting dumb day by day.Please help me
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I will certainly advise and guide you regarding your problem. In order to understand your problem better, please provide the following clarifications...

How long have you been having this problem?

How did it start? (suddenly or gradually?)

How much of dysfunction is this problem causing you and in what way?

So far, has anyone else noticed and told you that you are having these problems?

Are you under any stressful situation recently?

Do you have any other symptoms like feeling low, decreased energy, lack of interest, negative thoughts, poor sleep and appetite?

Do you consume alcohol or any other substances of abuse?

Do you suffer from any known medical problems or are you under any treatment currently?

Please get back to me with these clarifications, so that I can advise you in a better way.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Neuro-Pychiatrist
Follow-up: Having problem with memory and unable to concentrate. What should I do? 43 minutes later
Hi thanks for your reply.

I am having this problem from last 3 year. Earlier i used to remember things with interest.But now it's getting worse day by day i am an IT Professional i last few days ago i was preparing for my exam i practiced the simulation 8 times and at same day evening i forget all.And had my exam in Hong Kong and at the day of exam i forgot most of the basic commands and i lost the exam so it's quite serious.

I think it starts gradually.
This is effecting my life badly some time when i am talking to someone and trying to tell something .I forget some of main points and it will take much time to rethink the point.
Yes people have noticed it that's why i am trying to solve this problem.
No i haven't got in any stressful situation.
Yes many times i have noticed after taking much sleep i feel low,decreased energy and lack of interest.No negative thoughts nothing more.
No i don't consume alcohol or any substances of abuse.
Yes i was suffering a kind of fits 5-6 years back when i use to get up from a sitting position my half body was used to have a fits (half of second). I was on medication for around 2 years.Neurologist said that some worm was got into my brain but now it's fine.Write now other then this problem i am completely fine.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 23 hours later
Thanks for the details.

From the description of your symptoms, it appears that your memory difficulty is causing you a significant amount of distess and impairment. You also mention that you have more dificulty in remembering names and certain words. Such kind of memorey problems can be present when there is a problem in certain areas of the brain, namely the parietal or temporal lobe. In your past medical history, you have mentioned a significant point that you have suffered from seizures (fits) a few years back. There is a likelyhood that your memory problems could be related to the seizures. Even though you don't have any obvious seizures currently, sometimes, there can be "sub-clinical" (i.e. not outwardly seen) seizure activity in the brain, which could be causing your memory problems.

Since this memory problem seems to be significant to you, I would advise that you have a thorough neurological evaluation done to find out the cause. This evaluation should include an a complete neurological examination, including memory testing plus an MRI Brain scan and an EEG (to see if there is any sub-clinical seizure activity going on). So, please consult a neurologist at the earliest for a detailed evaluation. Further treatment will depend on the results of the evaluation.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Neuro-Pychiatrist
Follow-up: Having problem with memory and unable to concentrate. What should I do? 16 hours later
Hi thanks for reply doc.Can you please suggest any good hospital/doc..
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 10 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX

I think it's better to have your evaluation done at a centre which has all facilities like memory testing, EEG, etc. so that you can have a thourough and systematic evaluation. I would suggest that the Neurology Department of NIMHANS would be a very good option. The charges there are also reasonable.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Neuro-Pychiatrist