Having problem of hair fall and less facial hair. Which specialist should I consult?

Hi, i am 19 years old and having problem of hair balding as well as very less facial hair growth. My overall physique is very good but facing these problems. What to do and Where to consult?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Himanshu Pandey 2 hours later

Thanks for query at XXXXXXX

The problem for hair fall and less facial hair can occur due to many reasons. Some are genetic (getting from father to son), steroid overuse (like using anabolic steroid for muscles growth), thyroid disorder etc. Sometimes, fungal infection and allergy also can cause these symptoms. Along with this, autoimmune disease like alopecia could be the reason. So the thing you can do is to rule out these causes. For identifying the cause, you may need to undergo a battery of tests. The probable cause and required investigations can be decided after consultation with a endocrinologist.

If there are no hormonal problems found, then you will have to consult a dermatologist to rule out any local factors like fungal infections. Once all these are done, a probable diagnosis can be made and an appropriate treatment can be initiated.

Don't worry. There are enough treatments to get your symptoms under control.

If you have any further questions, do let me know.

Follow-up: Having problem of hair fall and less facial hair. Which specialist should I consult? 54 minutes later
Thank you for your reply sir, i have came to know that most of the times doctors treat problem of less facial hair growth by providing more testesterone(artificially) and thus resulting in increased level of DHT which is the root cause of secondary sex characterstics like facial hair. But simultaneously the reason behind the male pattern baldness is also abnormal working of dht. Having these two problem together seems strange to me..What i think is if i will be given treatment to increase my Testesterone level , it gonna increase my hair problem. what is your say?
Answered by Dr. Himanshu Pandey 15 minutes later
Hi thanks for asking.

I would say 'yes' you are right. As we both know that we need correct balance of testosterone hormone. To come to a better diagnosis, balance and a proper treatment, the best person to advise would be an endocrinologist. Be healthy.