Having problem of food poisoning. Vomited after eating. Suggest the treatment?

Hi doctor, I have been having a problem of food poisoning .. can you please suggest me something to ease the problem. I have vomited last night 2-3 times. It started after I ate a fish curry at home.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I recommend wait and observe policy...

Detailed Answer:

Vomiting due to food poisoning unlikely other symptom is beneficial to the body. Toxins from the infected food are cleared by nature through vomiting - this helps in faster recovery. Therefore, I recommend no treatment in such cases. In fact starting medicines to stop vomiting causes the toxins to stay within and cause more damage to health.

To help you understand this better, I would like to share with you a recent event that occurred in the State of Bihar where a doctor administered medicines to school children misdiagnosed (when they in fact had food poisoning). This resulted in death in many children.

In brief, do not use medicines to stop vomiting. Symptoms will resolve spontaneously in few hours - persistent vomiting + fever and abdominal cramps are ominous signs. Keep drinking fluids to maintain hydration. If you feel very week and exhausted, I would urge you to visit a nearby hospital for Intravenous fluid therapy.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.