Having problem in sternum. Feels like burning and heavy pressure. What could this be?

I've been having problems located in my sternum and over to the right of my sternum. Feels like a heavy pressure & burning feeling. Almost like a hunger feeling but I'm not hungry. I also feel a little knot right over to the right side of it. What could this be?
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query
The problem you are having seems to related to your stomach however for further evaluation i will be requesting the following information
Is there any pain?
any Nausea or vomiting?
where is the knot? exact location. is it on your breast or below it?
is the knot painful on applying pressure?
do you have any difficulty in breathing?
any problem of regurgitation?

will be waiting for your response

Follow-up: Having problem in sternum. Feels like burning and heavy pressure. What could this be? 47 minutes later
No Nausea or vomiting, the knot is below my breast, just a little below the right side of my sternum. If I rub it, there is a little pain. What concerns me is that I woke up at 3 AM with this heavy pressure in my sternum area and a little pain. Every so often I'll get quick pains across my chest area but mostly discomfort in the sternum. I'm 36 female and I am over weight too. Hope this helps. Thank you for your reply back.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 12 minutes later
Thanks for the reply

The symptoms you are explaining are in correlation with the dyspepsia however the area you have mentioned also contains gall bladder and liver. Hope their is no serious problem.
It is to assure you the symptoms is not from your lungs or chest but related to your abdomen most likely the gastrointestinal tract. The knot you have mentioned if is in just below the lower end of sternum might be girdle often formed at gastroesophageal junction due to high fat content foods causing acidity and immobility after food intake. so, it is recommended to take antacids along syrup enhancing gastric motility like domeperidone and have some walk after meals.
It is strongly recommended to have an Abdominal ultrasound to rule out any underlying problem

feel free to ask any further queries