Having problem in skin between the thumb finger and the index finger. What is causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son have a problem with the skin between the thumb finger and the index finger. The skin there is not stretchy like normal. It is not webbed finger, but the skin is a litlle tight do he can not straight his thumb like normal, and the bone there bigger.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
In a 2.5 month old child, the bones and skin is usually flexible. If his thumb cannot be straightened then possibility of a bone deformity or fibrosis is there which needs to be ruled out after an examination by an orthopedician. Usually splints and exercise are needed to bring the thumb to its normal range of movement.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.