Ask a Urologist   »  

Having pressure on lower pelvic area. Found trace of blood on dipstick test. Taking amox. Cancer?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I had some pressure lower pelvic area ..Dr took dipstick showed ok on all BUT blood trace amounts...culture normal..Been on amox. for five days pressure comes and goes..My concern is blood found...cancer etc..How accurate are these tests? They said to repeat in a month but Im worried.

Please advise

Thank you
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Health Care Magic.

The symptom of pressure in lower abdomen can be due to infection of the urinary tract or weakening of pelvic muscles.

A negative dipstick test indicates absence of proteins in urine. A negative culture report excludes infection of the urinary tract.

Presence of traces of blood can be due to injury to the urinary tract (due to injury caused by stone), infection, or cancer.

However, it is not a confirmatory test. Further investigations are required to find out the cause.
You can get the urine test repeated after some time.
If positive, an ultrasound pelvis and/ or cystoscopy can be carried out to look for other causes of bleed in the urinary tract.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Having pressure on lower pelvic area. Found trace of blood on dipstick test. Taking amox. Cancer? 7 hours later
I took two minicycline antibodics two days before urine culture... could that have been enough to wipe out the culture for infection. .. do u see trace amounts of blood in dipstick tests that turn out to be nothing. Is it common to see.. What are the other signs of cancer of this type.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query

You have mentioned that you had taken amoxycillin as well as minocyclin before the urine culture.
These antibiotics would have cleared away the infection in case it was present.
Presence of blood in urine needs to be investigated.
However, cancer is not the only cause of such finding.
Cancer is associated with other symptoms like weakness and loss of appetite.

It would be best to repeat the investigation after a couple of days.

I hope your concern has been answered.
Write to me if you have more queries.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Having pressure on lower pelvic area. Found trace of blood on dipstick test. Taking amox. Cancer? 4 hours later
No I mentioned amox after Dr said blood was found. I forgot to mention i took just two of the other two days before test but was not sure if two pills would erase evidence of infection. I also asked you if the dipstick test was accurate so u suggest more another test after a few days Dr said a few weeks

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

Don't worry about the infection because the urine culture is negative. Either the infection never existed or it cleared out with the antibiotic pills that you took before the test.
The test for blood can be repeated after some time at your convience.
Dipstick test is fairly sensitive test for blood.

Hope that clears all your concerns. Please let me know if you require any further clarifications.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal