Having postpartum period and breastfeeding. Feeling light headedness, brain and eye are not in sync. Done with testing for astigmatism. Cure?

Question
Good afternoon
General info-age 35, 4.5 months postpartum with my second son-exclusively breastfeeding. First son is age 2.5 years. I am a full-time mother. We moved house 2 months ago to a new area.

Since the middle of may when I was unwell-(possible virus as just felt poorly and went to bed for a couple of days) I have been having periods of lightheadedness and aspacey feeling-almost like my brain and eyes are not in sync. The room does not spin and it feels better when I sit or lie down. My eyes go out of focus

I had my eyes tested in XXXXXXX and have a very small prescription for glasses because of astigmatism.
Apologies i just realised that not all of my question was copied and pasted...

the full question is as follows:

Good afternoon
General info-age 35, 4.5 months postpartum with my second son-exclusively breastfeeding. Periods have not returned. First son is age 2.5 years. I am a full-time mother. We moved house 2 months ago to a new area.

Since the middle of may when I was unwell-(possible virus as just felt poorly and went to bed for a couple of days) I have been having periods of lightheadedness and a spacey feeling-almost like my brain and eyes are not in sync. The room does not spin but everything seems out of kilter and it feels better when lie down.

I had all the usual blood tests - full
Blood count, bone profile, iron, thyroid levels etc done at the end of may and all came back normal, other than vitamin d which was slightly low.

My eyes go out of focus especially when driving. My eyesight has always been good but now when I read, the words don't seem so clear on the page. I had my eyes tested in XXXXXXX and have a very small prescription for glasses because of astigmatism.

Over the last 2 weeks this spacey feeling is constant all day until I go to bed. Plus foggy head feeling - concentration and memory not great!

With that I have felt like my right leg is a different length and almost like I am walking on a sponge on that side. I have also got a funny feeling in my right little finger and my ring finger-not numbness but like my fingers are very light-almost not there, but they are still strong enough to use. May not be connected??

I have not had a full seven hours (in one go) sleep in 4.5 months. My sleep tends to be broken due to feeding-now only once in the night and again about 4/5am-feed lying down in bed. But awake at 6am every morning to give second his heart medication. Generally in bed by 10.30pm.

Energy levels ok-still get up and do things!

I take a breastfeeding vitamin daily. My gp took my Blood pressure and pulse and all Normal-both standing and sitting. Heart and lungs sound fine too. Throat clear. No swollen glands.

My left ear has felt blocked for a few months like there is something in there-it has been checked on 3 occasions and my ears are clear.

Had a followup gastroscopy last week as had peptic ulcers last year-a couple of lesions remain so starting omeprazole shortly for 2 months.

I don't want to just automatically assume this is tiredness, rundown. Any thoughts?
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes, migraine, ear infections

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am.

I can understand your concern and frustration and shall try my best to help you. I have gone through your query and it does look like most of the possible conditions have been ruled out. I still need to know which tests were conducted, if you can upload the reports or just write them.

Both light headedness and blurry vision are most commonly associated with diabetes, this should be given special consideration as you have also recently just completed your pregnancy (i.e. gestation diabetes caused during pregnancy). For this I would advise a glycaemic profile to be conducted. But other causes should also be looked into, I shall list them for you.
-Migraines
-Ear infections
-Labyrinthitis
-Vertigo associated conditions
-Cardiac ailments (circulatory abnormalities)

I think it is worthwhile to rule out the above mentioned conditions with further tests.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and congratulations on your new bundle of XXXXXXX

Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Having postpartum period and breastfeeding. Feeling light headedness, brain and eye are not in sync. Done with testing for astigmatism. Cure? 54 minutes later
Many thanks for your reply.

With regards to migraines - I don't have headaches or any photosensitivity.

Diabetes-during pregnancy I had glucose in my urine but my blood test results were always normal. I recently had a urine test done in XXXXXXX and all was normal.

I had an ecg earlier this year as had a few palpitations during pregnancy-again this was normal.

With regards to ear infections, I mentioned in my narrative that my ears have been checked and both are clear and have been on every occasion.

Unfortunately I don't have any copies of my blood test results-all I know is that everything was normal.

Could this be caused by a trapped nerve or something like that?

I am getting increasingly concerned about my symptoms. My gp said it was just tiredness but I am not convinced! Does it sound like anything sinister?

Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing serious, but causes need to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again,

I am happy to know most of your recent reports were normal, but you should that a slight hint of diabetes and cardiac abnormalities were seen during your pregnancy, which is why they should be followed up, especially after delivery. I would request you to thus bare with me and get a complete cardiac evaluation and glycemic profile done.

A pinched nerve would also be related to circulatory problems, especially as your symptoms show a circulatory problem to the brain.

A few vitamin defeciencies can also cause such a presentation, which os why I would advice supplements. Tiredness could be related to vitamin D deficiency as well, correct vitamin D deficiency and see if symptoms disappear.

Hope this helps ma'am.

Best wishes.