Having poor digestion, cannot digest some food. Strong acid forms in belly. Please advise?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I can not digest foods like coconut mixed foods and tamarid, Lintles Red dall and Milk curd etc most of the times when I eat these food my belly gets blotted Why is that do also I have many times srong acid forms in the belly in the morning which I have to drink water and induce vomit and clean the stomach. I have very poor digestion many foods doent agree with my stomach . I cam most of the times can digest meats and may other foods Could you please advice me
thanks Doctor
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 45 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.
This sounds like typical stomach issue which is commonly found today.
This is caused by gastritis, GERD or hiatus hernia or combination of these 3. Second cause can be food allergy, but in this case you would feel symptoms 2-4 hours after meal.So if you have bloating and hertabrurn soon after meal within first 2 hours this is definitely stomach problem. All these food you have mentioned are known to aggravate acid secretion and trigger your difficulties.
You should do gastroscopy first to evaluate the degree of gastritis.

Symptoms that are experienced in such conditions are pain and tightness in upper stomach, bloating, breathing difficulties, heartburn, feeling of lump and sore in throat, gurgling sound in throat, fatigue and loss of appetite.

Symptoms are aggravated after meal, long sitting, leaning forward, stress and anxiety. In the beginning this is treated by changing dietary habits.
You should avoid alcohol, coffee, spicy food, fats and fast food, carbonated drinks,coconut, Milk shakes, Sour creams, Cheese,Ice creams, Butter cookies, Chocolate, Donuts, Brownies, Peppermint candies .
Eat more fruit and vegetables, boiled food and natural beverages and teas. 1 hour after meal you should not sit or lay. Also sometimes is helpful to drink one small spoon of olive oil in the morning or glas of warm water because it relaxes stomach muscle.
Eat more frequently (5-6) times per day but smaller meals.
Also lay with elevated upper body, place few pillows under the back and head. If you are overweight you should do often exercise. and lose weight.

Secondly, there are antiacid medicines which are usually helpful,pantoprasole is just one of them .you should consult your GP about some other such as antacides or ranitidinum. If there is proven helicobacter infection it should be eradicated with certain antibiotics.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Having poor digestion, cannot digest some food. Strong acid forms in belly. Please advise? 34 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your reply. Is Haitus Hernia curable? Is my stomach indigestion curable completely ? and Do you think just one stools examination enough or we need to take several stools examination to find out H. Pylori
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 12 minutes later
Hiatus hernia is curable by surgical procedure. This can be done laparoscopically in most institutions and is pretty simple procedure today.
You should first do barium swallow stomach test or gastroscopy to see the degree of hernia. Then you can decide in consultation with surgeon do you need surgery or not. Medicines are only symptomatic treatment and can relief pain and abdominal discomfort, but it wont cure the exact cause if there is hernia.

H.pylori can be found by few methods: Blood antibody test, Urea breath test, Stool antigen test or Stomach biopsy so ask your doctor which one is available in your place. When H.pylori is cured, and if you follow dietary recommendation you will notice improvement for sure. But if there is large hiatus hernia and medicines dont help, then you should consider surgical procedure.