Ask a Dentist   »  

Having pointed lump on cheek side of gum. X-ray showed no problem. Feels rough and have dull ache. What should I do?

I have a pointed lump ( protrudes in a cone shape ) on the cheek side of my upper gum to the side of molar. The point of the lump pushes out from the gum towards the cheek. they did an xray XR OPG and showed no problems to be noted. Now the point has broken through the gum and i am getting concerned. The point feels rough and very hard like bone and now the area has a dull ache. What could this be and what should i do?
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 3 hours later

The pointed lump could be an abscess. Usually arising from an infected teeth or periodontal (gum) problems.

I saw your attached reports, there is no radio graphic evidence of any bony outgrowth or Exostosis. Therefore, it clearly signifies towards a soft tissue lesion probably an abscess due to periodontal pocket (gum pocket). In rare cases you can suspect malignancy of alveolar bone too. But first I would like to know about your periodontist (dentist dealing with gum tissues exclusively) opinion.

This requires thorough clinical examination and surgical probing. Every single tooth should be examined by probing and checking for existing pockets.

Also, please remember gum pockets caused due to loss of attachment apparatus is a common finding in diabetic conditions. You might require deep pocket curettage and through root planing along with antibiotics and analgesics.

Therefore in my view please XXXXXXX your periodontist (dentist dealing with gum tissues exclusively) as soon as possible.

Meanwhile you can do warm saline rinses.

For further query please let me know.