Having pink mucus like discharge from anus. Constipated during bowel movement. Is it serious?

Feb 2013

Hello my 19 yr old stepson has a pink mucus like discharge coming from his anus when he tries to have a BM and he has been constapated - stopped up for a few weeks. What could cause it and how serious is it?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treat constipation.Rectal examination by expert.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Pinkish mucus discharge from anus is suggestive of some amount of blood coming out mixing up with mucus.

The common possibilities in a person with the history of constipation are fissure formation, ulcer in the rectum, tear of rectal mucosa.

Constipation causes the development of fissure in anal region which causes bleeding because of passage of hard stool.

Another possibility is solitary rectal ulcer which is seen in constipated people.

Rectal polyp also presents with blood and mucus discharge.

His constipation shoud be treated first which is the triggering factor in most of the rectal and anal pathology.

Ask him to take plenty of oral fluids.

Ask him to take dietary fiber XXXXXXX foods like vegetables, leafy vegetables, whole grains, and whole fruits.

Orally given stool softeners like lactulose can be given in prescribed dose to make hard stool into soft one for easy passage.

Anal region, rectum has to be examined clinically using sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy to look for rectal ulcers, polyps, and fissure.

Therefore I suggest you to consult the doctor for treating his constipation and for the examination of anal and rectal region.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.