Having pimples on back. Using retino ac gel and imiquad cream. Guide

My daughter is having small pimples type on back( Probably mollusm )at several places. Local doctor has given retino ac gel and imiquad cream to apply. How do I apply.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 27 minutes later

I can understand your issue and hope I am able to help you for the same.

Your daughter is having molluscum contagiosum lesions.

Now as far as the application of these drugs is concerned, imiquad contains imiquimod which is an immunomodulator.

Imiquimod , when used for molluscum contagiosum ,has to be applied 3 times a week for up to 16 weeks. This means that you have to use this medicine every alternate night.
Before applying the medication, wash the area to be treated with soap and water, and dry thoroughly. Use a new packet of cream for each use. Cut a corner of the XXXXXXX and squeeze some cream onto your finger to apply it to the affected area. Also put some cream on about a centimeter of healthy looking skin around the affected area.

After 20 minutes or so, you may then apply an additional moisturizer.
You should wash your hands thoroughly after application of the cream.
Do not cover the treated area with bandages or other waterproof coverings. Leave the cream on overnight at least for 6-10 hours.

In the morning, wash the treated area with soap and water to remove the cream. Do not bathe or wet the treated area before the prescribed application time has passed. Throw away any partly used packets of medication.

Within 3 to 5 days, the skin treated with imiquimod cream can get red and sore. The skin may weep, peel, crack or even blister and then scab over. The area may be itchy or sore, painful and burn. This is caused by the abnormal cells dying and a sign that the treatment is working.

Now as far as retino- ac is concerned, it has to be applied on alternate nights once again. You can use imiquad on one night and retino-ac on the next day. Retino - ac can be applied with a toothpick or an ear bud only over the affected area/lesion and can be left overnight. Wash the area with soap and water in the morning.
When using the above therapy, the lesions might turn red and inflamed, but it is a good sign and shows that the treatment is working.
This treatment has to be continued till the time the lesions persist or sometimes for 2-4 months.

Hope that solves your query.
If there is anything else that you want to know, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Having pimples on back. Using retino ac gel and imiquad cream. Guide 24 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX Thanks a lot. I just noticed that the doctor has also advised to take dicaris children tablet to my daughter (one tablet in a week). I was doing some research on Internet and got worried on configuration and use of this medicine. I could read doctor prescription that he has advised to apply imiquad thrice a week but nothing is written about retino Ac. My daughter is 8 yrs old. Pl suggest.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 11 minutes later

You can safely continue with both the prescribed medicines and apply them as i have suggested, using either of these three times a week on alternate nights.

Now as far as tablet dicaris is concerned, it is usually given once or twice a week. Tablet Levamisole is again an immunomodulator. This helps in molluscum contagiosum by preventing the further spread of lesions and also reducing the size of the existing lesions. Usually in children , a combination of topical and oral medicines is given so as to achieve a rapid clearance of the lesions and shorten the duration of therapy.

In adults , there are various methods to get rid of viral warts like burning them or removing by radiofrequency or laser, but children usually don't get these procedures done. So using medicines like imiquimod and retinoic acid helps.

Hope that solves your query.

Anything else bothering you, kindly let me know

Dr Geetika Paul