Having pimples in vaginal area. Applied ointment. Suggest

Mar 2016

Hi Doctor,

I've gave birth to a baby last September. A week after the delivery I started having pimples in the vaginal area. I went off after I applied some ointment that the Gynaecologist prescribed. However, in the last few months I continue to have pimples again. Could you please help me with this?

Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Pimples around vaginal area is also known as genital acne in medical term. It may be caused by sweating, tight underwear, ingrown hair, hormonal imbalance with progesterone deficiency, allergic reaction to certain stuffs etc.

If there is vaginal discharge with numerous pimples, then possibility of STD / genital herpes (painful) is also to be ruled out by blood test & serology. Please consult with dermatologist regarding this for proper guidance.

Most of the genital acne is caused by bacterial infection. Using anti-bacterial ointment or soap is quite helpful. Washing the area with warm water or hot compression is useful to prevent future recurrence.

Taking sitz bath with Epsom salts can sooth, cleanse and even help dry a pimple in the vaginal area.

Following life style changes are quite effective in prevention :

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vit-E/ C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.
2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects or douching inside vagina.
3) Maintain a good genital hygiene with proper shaving & cleaning. Keep the genital area always dry.
4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation.
5) Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics, soap, detergent/ scented bath products or condoms etc.

Hope, above said information is sufficient & very much helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen