Having phobia and getting nervous due to IBS and gastritis. Suggest some effective advice to get cured?

Hi doctor,
I have phobia about ppl, for example, in front of and surrounded ppl and in the car or bus. And I know that this phobia is caused by my ibs. My ibs is diarrhea and flatus so that my gas leak out unconsciously and continuously when I get nervous. Especially, in my class my gas leaking starts. So recently I cannnot attend to my class because it is really embarrased and I have many traumatic experiences by this ibs. If I can be relax in the class and any vehicles, my ibs disease might not happen. Can you advise me how to be relax in the class? Actually, I'm really trying to avoid gas cause food. It passed 7 weeks from changed my diet. And I usally walk around for 40mins. Please tell me some ideas.
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 22 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

You are doing the right thing by doing exercise (walking) and avoiding foods that have a tendency to cause flatus. I figure that you are already on medication for IBS.

In addition, I would suggest that you sign up for yoga/relaxation/meditation classes. You might also want to try acupressure.

Hope I have answered your queries. In case you don't have any further queries, kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a relaxing day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan