Having persistent blood pressure. Prescribed lasix. Noticed BP after stopping lasix. Which is safer lasix or hydrochlorithizide?

I have had persistent high blood pressure, been fighting it with various medications for years. Then I was admitted to hospital with walking pneumonia. Critical. They gave me shots of Lasix. I had consistent low blood pressure during my stay. After being out of hosp. for 2 weeks now my dr took me off of Lasix and BP is high again. When I take 10 mgs of lasix I notice the BP comes down to usually a normal range with no other meds. However at the clinic my drs have varying opinions hydrochlorithizide vs Lasix, but the latter did not work for me in low doses. One dr says hydro. is safer than lasix but the lasix works better for me. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blood pressure mainly depends on the volume or amount of fluid and the resistance to blood flow in the blood vessels.

The medications used for high blood pressure work through different mechanisms (1) reducing fluid volume such as diuretics like lasix and the thiazides
(2) relaxing the blood vessels

Lasix is more effective at reducing fluid volume but is usually reserved for patients with heart failure or other causes of fluid overload.
Lasix can be safe but is not considered first line in hypertension treatment though it can be used for some persons.

Most persons with high blood pressure require more than one medication for control of the blood pressure. It would be unusual to be controlled on the hydrochlorathiazide alone.

If you prefer the lasix your doctor can consider a low dose. After you start it you would need occasional blood tests to check your electrolytes to make sure they are normal. This would include calcium, magnesium , potassium , urea and sodium.

You should speak to your doctor about your preference for the lasix and the level of control it offers you.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions