Having periods for every two weeks and having cramps. Suffered from Epstein Barr virus for enlarged spleen. Is it related?

My daughter started menstuating at 14 yrs old. Monthly & normal until Dec 2012. Now has it @ every 12-14 days & very heavy w cramps. Was hospitalized for EBV in Dec 2012 for enlarged spleen, pain control, viral hepatitis or jaundice( high liver counts / billirubin. Could this be related and is it normal. She is very athletic. Runs 5 miles a day. Plays ice hockey 4 x week. Very healthy 5'6 131lbs. Albuterol inhaler sports induced asthma & no other medical history
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your daughter seem to be alright.....

Detailed Answer:

I am not very concerned with your daughter's menstrual cycle as I expect it to become normal in a few months. There are many reasons for her irregular menstruation at this age; I would like to share a few of those with you now.
1) Initial 2-3 years of puberty the menstrual cycle is mostly irregular in many young girls. It is quite normal.
2) Jaundice may also affect cycle because of high carbohydrate diet and change in coagulation factors.
3) As she is very athletic, strenuous exercise can affect menstrual cycle.

Body has its own mechanism to take care of these factors; so you do need not be very concerned. I would definitely suggest that she takes iron pills if she is not allergic to it to prevent bleeding induced anemia. Give her high fibre diet, green leafy vegetables, avoid oily foods and strenuous exercise.

Wait for the next 6-12 months before considering consult a gynaecologist and further investigating.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further questions I will be happy to help you.

Good luck.

Dr. Richa