Having periods after 40 days of delivery. Normal?

Question
My wife given brith child at August 10th, 40days past. Now she got menses last 2 days.
I came to know few days before that, as long as exclusive breast-feeding is continued, it avoids ovulation & acts as a natural contraception & so avoids pregnancy. She is breast-feeding still. But now this menses, is it any problem to her or is it normal.

Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
It is normal to resume normal regular periods 40 days after delivery. This is not suggestive of any pathology.
Usually the ovulation does not take place for three months after delivery. Since your wife has resumed her normal regular periods, you must use a contraceptive form the next cycle to have adequate spacing between your two children.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.