Having penile rash. Getting worse. Used creams. STD tests negative. Not ciircumcised. Help?

Dec 2013

Hi I have some pictures of a penile rash that has developed over the last few years, the rash periodicly appears to clear up but will return within days, most of the time it is visible and it seems to be getting worse. I have visited several doctors and had numerous std tests all negative.I have tried numerous creams and I am uncircumcised.
Please help. Thank you
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 47 minutes later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

Myself Dr S K Kanodia and will try to provide you the best of information regarding your query.

I can really understand the kind of stress you are undergoing by the skin problem on your glans penis.

I have thoroughly seen all the three close pictures of the problem.

According to yourself you are having this recurring rash from last few years and you have gone for numerous tests for the sexually transmitted diseases.

I request you to please elaborate the problem so that we can help you best.
Kindly tell the following:
1. Since how long you have this problem (exact years).

2. How many times in a year you have these eruption or how many time in a month if occurring frequently.

3. How long these persist (for few days or for a week period).

4. Are these slightly fluid filled or just red areas to begin with.

5. Is there any burning, itching or pain you feel during its appearance.

6. Do you take any kind of medicine like pain killer of antibiotics before its appearance.

6. What all numerous tests you have undergone (like for herpes or anything).

I empathetic to your suffering and would try to provide you best solution once I get above relevant informations or anything which you like to tell regarding your problem.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow-up: Having penile rash. Getting worse. Used creams. STD tests negative. Not ciircumcised. Help? 20 hours later
I have had the problem for 3 and a half years. It is almost always visible and only goes away for short periods, it started as a few small marks near where the shaft joins the gland but it is steadily spreading, occasionaly some appear to form a ring shape. They never seem to secrete any fluid and they do not burn or itch. I rarely take any medication or pain killers, the medications I have been pescribed are Advantan cream, Zithromax 500mg, Kenacomb 15g. I have undergone several std tests covering herpes.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 9 hours later

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for giving details regarding your problem.

Now after keenly reading the details provided by you and matching up with previously sent photographs, I can make out the closest possibility of “Plasma cell balanitis” also known as “Zoon’s erythroplasia” or “Zoon’s plasma cell balanitis” or simply we say “Zoon’s balanitis”.

Zoon’s balanitis is a persistent, inflammation and irritation of skin due to dysfunctional skin of prepuce.

To explain you simply medically and scientifically, in uncircumcised males there can be retention of urine between two tightly apposed surfaces of glans penis and skin of prepuce. When this area is infrequently and inadequately separated and/or inappropriately bathed, it leads to excessive frictional trauma over the surface of glans penis.

If you can also notice on your glans penis, that the problem or rash is present over the dorsal surface (the surface of skin in apposition to skin of abdomen ) or to simply say on typically on particular surface of glans penis and not all over- is because of the adjacent prepuce and sites of maximal friction on foreskin retraction.

So along with the irritation by urine it is also aggravated by friction on the surface of glans penis. It remains persistent because of its causative factors and can not be treated by any of the medical treatments such as any type of creams and ointments.

So you must be asking, what is the best treatment then…Circumcision is curative in this condition. It has been claimed that Erbium : YAG or good dermatologist who can guide you further regarding this condition. In between you improve the hygiene of the area by washing the penile and prepuce skin 3-4 times a day which can give some relief till you XXXXXXX a dermatologist.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia