Having pelvic pain and weakness after a long driving. Cure for this?

May 2014

Had my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX 21 2013. I felt fine first two weeks. No pain. Went to visit my grandson last weekend it was 5 hour drive. Felt terrible the next day and slept. After two days felt great and wrnt for a neck and shoulder massage went to grocery store with friend and felt good. Next day and today i have been having pelvic pain weakness did i overdo it and what should my next step be. I just feel lousy
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

With a XXXXXXX done as recent as XXXXXXX 21, 2013 that is less than 4 weeks back, your surgical wound does need some more time to heal completely. It is good that you never experienced pain in the early days following surgery. This means everything went on fine.

During XXXXXXX a surgical wound is made in the lower abdomen and the uterus is removed through this. Subsequently the muscle layers and skin are stitched. Such a surgery has a recovery period of about six to eight weeks. After eight weeks they can resume all their normal duties. However, heavy weight lifting work may be started only after asking the doctor.

In your situation, the 5 hour drive might have put a little stress on your lower abdomen. It could be the jerks, the seat belt in place or the duration of the journey itself and I assume it was one where you did not take many breaks.

Also you have said that you went for a massage and report of having pelvic pain and weakness on the following day.

I suggest you please allow some more time for your surgery wound to heal completely.

Mean while, you could check if there is anything wrong under the surgical scar, something like an intermittent swelling or any sharp pain in the region. If you have these features, consultation with your doctor would help and they may ask you to get an ultrasound scan to assess if they suspect any problem in the surgery area.

As for the weakness, I hope you are taking adequate nutrition with recommended daily allowance of essential dietary elements.

Further queries welcome.
Wishing you a quick recovery.

Dr Vivek