Having pea sized lump on labia minora, painful and red. After squeezing puss came out. What is it?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I have a pea sized hard lump under the skin on the inside of my labia minora. It is high up, near the clitoris. It is a bit painful and looking a bit red. I have had it for 2 weeks. A few days ago I squeezed it and a small amout of puss came out and it went down slightly in size. It's now grown again a bit. What is it and what can I do to get rid of it?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 minutes later
The lump you mentioned could be bartholin abscess.
The bartholin gland will be located behind the labia minora. Its duct will open between the upper two-thirds and lower one third of the labia minora.
It helps in lubrication.
When the duct of the gland gets blocked it will form a cyst and when the cyst gets infected it will form abscess.
You once consult gynecologist and get examined to find out the actual nature of the lesion.
And after that you can take antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs with her advice to cure the abscess.
Sitz bath can help in reducing the symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Having pea sized lump on labia minora, painful and red. After squeezing puss came out. What is it? 2 minutes later
I don't think it can be a bartholin cyst because it is higher up, nearer the clitoris end of the labia.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 hours later

When the pus and fluid accumulates in the abscess it can spread to upper part through tissue planes.
Like in the picture shown in this link: WWW.WWWW.WW So you once consult gynecologist and get examined. Direct examination is more useful in finding the exact nature of the lesion.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.