Having patch in the penis base. Having itchy in scrotum. Been travelling. Fungal infection or STD?

I have a small patch at the base if my penis that had changed color slightly (shiny) and is also itchy there and the scrotum also, I had unprotected sex 3 weeks ago but I have also been travelling and staying at international hostels that are not the most hygienic so I was wondering if this could be a fungi rather then an STD
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is most likely fungal and NOT STD

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

From the brief information provided, the lesions are fungal (contacted due to physical contact) and not manifestation of STD. STD lesions occur on the glans penis under the foreskin with/without associated burning in urine or abnormal discharge in urine.

A 10-14 days', thrice daily application of either ciclopirox or otriconazole cream will eradicate the lesions. Please note that the duration of treatment depends on the number of skin-layers affected. Hence, for complete eradication, apply the cream for at least, TILL 5 days AFTER the lesions have disappeared completely.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have further clarifications, I will be happy to answer them.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal