Having panic attacks. Took Effexor and Cymbalta. Have GERD and sciatic nerve pain. Cure?

I have many problems. This applies to my mental health. I have had panic attacks most of my life, due to many difficult situations I have faced. Rather suddenly, I have begun having panic attacks in the shower. Sometimes it happens in the middle, I have to stop and get out. No, I have not even watching Psycho! Ha,ha. What can I do? I take 2 antidepressants, Effexor and Cymbalta. I have Xanax to take when things in general get overwhelming. I should also say that I lost a husband in a car accident when 22. We had a child- very successful, I married a
short time later. My second husband and I have a 29 year old daughter still at home :(. She causes me lots of tears and grief. Although she has a college degree, she is just now starting "life". Can you say or do anything that would make these attacks go away?
Take OxyContin for back pain, but am not addicted!! Also have gerd. Much sciatic nerve pain. Pretty constant. No home life at all. Our marriage has been mostly unhappy. Have had years of counseling for various issues. No sex anymore. Have no desires. Depression, anxiety, and stress.
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 48 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. You are taking two antidepressants with pretty similar function. Both of these medications can aggravate panic attacks, especially if they are taken together. You may talk about this issue with your doctor to evaluate your situation to see if she can discontinue one of them.
On the other hand, xanax does not cover all the daytime as an anti-anxiety. When somebody has worries to experience the repeat of attacks, it is better that a long acting medication from the class of xanax (the class of benzodiazepines) is used. You may also talk about this issue with your doctor, since you are still young and there is no problem with prescribing those long life medications.
You may also not use Oxycontine at nights because it can facilitate breathing stops at night and they may provoke panic attacks at night (if you have at nights as well). You can use some other pain killers if there is no problem with them after checking with your doctor.
Let me know if you have ay other question. I wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Having panic attacks. Took Effexor and Cymbalta. Have GERD and sciatic nerve pain. Cure? 1 hour later
Thank you for your quick response. In your experience, what are the top meds that will help daytime anxieties? My Doctor is quite young, merely 34. I do not take Xanax and OxyContin at the same time.
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX, thanks for asking. Some medications from the class of benzodiazepines that last long in the blood during the day are clonazepam, diazepam and chlorodiapoxide. Diazepam is rapidly absorbed to the brain, while clonazepam onset is with delay. I wish you a good health.