Having panic attack and claustrophobia. Is this weight related problem?

Jun 2013
Hi I am 41 yrs old, 172cm tall and weigh 80kg. Lately i have been having panic attacks (which i havent had for 15 yrs now) and claustrophobia. Could this be weight related? My cholesterol also was quite high but havent tested recently..thanks for your thoughts.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 41 minutes later
Hi there ~

Thank you for your question. I understand that you have a prior history of hypercholesterolemia. I do not think that this has anything to do with your panic attacks or claustrophobia. You can rest assured regarding this. However I hope that you have been adequately treated for the conditions. I also hope that your cholesterol is under control.

The anxiety can be treated with the exposure and response prevention (ERP) which is a technique used by psychologists. I also think that you should consult with your psychiatrist for medications. The first line for such conditions is SSRIs or selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors and there are a lot of sedative hypnotic medications that can helps with your anxiety attacks as well. I hope you get an appointment with a psychiatrist as soon as you can.

I hope this helps. Take care and have a lovely day!
Follow-up: Having panic attack and claustrophobia. Is this weight related problem? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor, how about the weight factor? Questions are for a friend of mine who is very concerned...thanks
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 5 hours later
Hi there ~

Anxiety and claustrophobia are important and they may cause these side effects and so can the medications used to treat them. However this might not be a case and you might need a psychological assessment to see if you need counseling and medications from a psychiatrist for depression and anxiety. Depression can make you gain or lose weight depending on the situation. There are two ways to lose weight:

1. Eat right - and healthy. Which might mean that you need to consult a nutritionist.
2. Exercise regularly - 4 times a week for 30-40 min per session and it should include both cardio and weights.

I hope you get yourself on the track to recovery and a healthy weight as soon as you can. I hope this helped.

Take care and have a lovely day!