Having palpitations. how long will cortisone stays in bloodstream after epidural injection?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hi I was wondering hiw long cortisone stays in your bloodstream after epidural injection for back. I have had two shots for back and one for hip. It has been over about a six week period thank you for your help. I have been having palpitations the last week or so and was wondering if it could be from the shots.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Palpitations not due to steroid.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Cortisone will no longer be in the bloodstream after 24 hours following a cortisone injection. Your palpitations will not be due to the cortisone.
Eating XXXXXXX spicy foods, drinking excessive amounts of caffeine or alcohol, smoking, and using recreational drugs can all bring on palpitations.
Also anxiety, stress and panic can cause palpitations.
Medical conditions such as an overactive thyroid, low blood sugar and anemia may be a cause. Some abnormalities of the heart rate such as atrial fibrillation and supraventricular tachycardia can cause this.
I would suggest reviewing your caffeine intake and diet if possible. If your palpitations continue then I suggest you see your doctor for further investigation. This would be an EKG in the first instance.
I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,