Having palpitations after eating. Remedy?

I have been having palpitations after I eat. I have had palpitations on and off for years had a couple of holter monitors done and both times cardio doc's said that they were pvc's and pac's and that they were in the normal range. But now I seem to be getting them consistently after I eat
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

I can understand your concern for heart palpitations after eating but if the holter is normal then there is nothing much to worry.

Sometimes heart palpitations after eating are due to the size of the meal eaten. They may also be related to the composition of the meal, namely if the meal was XXXXXXX in carbohydrates, sugar, or fat or monosodium glutamate(MSG). Other than that, Sudden over consumption of food after not eating for long hours leads to over secretion of insulin which causes heart arrhythmia. Intake of caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, amphetamines, and cocaine and obesity and stress and anxiety can also cause such symptoms.

Medical causes like irregular electrolytes and anemia can also cause such symptoms. Antihistamines have reported side effects of heart palpitations. So stop taking the antihistamines for some days and see if the symptoms persist.
Eat at regular intervals and moderately sized meals, take less of foods high in sugar and fat, caffeine, alcohol and avoid the foods, beverages, and other substances that trigger the heart palpitations. If you are overweight, change your lifestyle and try to lose some weight and indulge in yoga and meditation to decrease stress.

If there is any associated chest pain then get your cardiac status checked by an EKG and ECHO.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.