Having pains from just above elbow where needle is inserted to shoulder. How to get relief from pain?

Dear Ask The Doctor: Had drip inserted into my arm last night when addmitted to hospital they had a lot of touble getting the needle out and i now have massive pains from just above elbow where they inserted needle to my shoulder it hurts with any movement or pressure
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 29 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Inflammation (phlebitis) occurs quite commonly after the insertion of intravenous catheters. In simple phlebitis, the inflammation causes localized redness and warmth at the insertion site. Mostly, phlebitis is no more than a minor inconvenience.
Thrombophlebitis is similar to phlebitis but a thrombus (or clot) is also involved. You may notice a hardened area where a clot has formed in the vein. This kind of small clot rarely has the same potentially life-threatening consequences as blood clots in the deeper and larger veins in the body, and is not usually associated with infection.
I advice you inspect the affected vein for any hardened area and also to apply thrombophob gel and or heat to the affected site.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
I advice you to consult the physician if the pain is severe and also if it persists more than day or two.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.