Having painless swelling between collarbone and shoulder. Any relief?

I have painless swelling between my collar bone and shoulder
The swelling is soft
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

From the symptoms three possibilities are coming to my mind. They are:

1)     It can be a swollen lymph node since it is present on both sides.
Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy.

2)     Second possibility is of any cyst which is a small cystic swelling filled with a soft, whitish brown material called sebum that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. It can regress in size when the sebum decreases.

3)     Third possibility is of any benign tumor but it is usually present throughout and chances are less that it comes and goes.

Apply warm compresses and get a CT scan or MRI scan of the area done. However the best test for confirmation of this lump is a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump which should be got done after consulting a physician. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. Then the material is looked under the microscope to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.