Having painless red patch on foreskin. What could it be?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hi Doc,

I am really worried because there is a "painless "red patch on my foreskin, what could it be?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
You have not mentioned your age and about your sexual activity.
I saw the images sent by you. The description is a painless red patch on the inner aspect of fore skin of the penis which is more localized than diffused.
The above description fits for the following possibilities like Psoriasis or Lichen planus. They may likely to manifest as an isolated lesions over genitals. Hence in your case my first thoughts would be to rule out Genital Psoriasis. It may not be an STD unless you have multiple sexual partners. In such a case you need a battery of investigations.
The other thing which could think is 'Fixed drug eruption'. It is a type of drug reaction. Certain drugs like Sulpha, Cotrimaxzole, analgesics, Quinolines likely to cause similar lesions over genitals. It will fade either with the withdrawal of drug or with treatment and reoccur on the same spot when challenged once again. So it is called as fixed drug eruption. However you have not mentioned in your history.
A good Dermato-venereologist or a genito-urinary physician will able to differentiate and diagnose the same and guide you for correct treatment.
So kindly visit your physician as early as possible and get well soon.
Dr. S. Murugan.
Follow-up: Having painless red patch on foreskin. What could it be? 3 hours later
Hi Doc,

My age is 24 years old, I haven't had any sex intercourse with anybody,and I haven't really taken any drugs, just vitamins.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 11 hours later

Pleased to answer your question.

As you have not taken any drugs in the recent days, it could be genital psoriasis. It is easily treatable as it is a single patch. You should approach Dermatologist.

It can be treated easily with topical (external) application along with some vitamin preparations. In addition Omega 3 fatty acids should be taken.

Get well soon.