Ask a Urologist   »  

Having painful urination and fever. Pus cell showed in urine test. What should I do?

Hello sir,
Few days back my father felt difficulty in urination,it was painful and the flow was quite obstructed followed by fever.He went for an ultrasound examination.He was having mild enlargement of prostate gland.We consulted the urologist,he prescribed the Urine biochemistry and Urine culture examination.I got the reports,there was no sign of any microbial growth in urine culture report but in urine biochemistry report pus cells were 18-20 hpf.
My father is on Nitrofurantoin and pyridium since four days which the doctor prescribed to take after the blood sampling.
It has been four days,still my father is having the same problem-difficulty in urination,painful urination and irregular flow.
Please tell me what to do next??
awaiting a reply
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
He seems to have UTI with enlarged prostate.
He needs a repeat urine sample for culture. This time the urine sample needs to be mid-stream urine.
Change of antibiotic is needed as he is not responding to nitrofurantoin.
He may need antibiotic injections - if he has fever and blood reports are suggestive of infection.
Also he may need a catheter for passing urine - if he is not able to pass urine well and the examining physician would be the best person to decide on this.
Hope I answered your queries. Kindly get back for doubts if any.

Follow-up: Having painful urination and fever. Pus cell showed in urine test. What should I do? 54 minutes later
what is 'Mid-stream urine'?
So u mean we should also go for Blood testing..??
if yes then what tests?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 24 minutes later

Midstream urine means collecting the urine sample after neglecting or letting out the initial few drops - to get the correct report and avoid contamination.
I can see that you had written taking medicines after blood sampling. If not given, he needs testing his blood for complete blood count and renal function tests.
With this and the physical examination, further steps can be taken.