Ask a Dentist   »  

Having painful roof in mouth. Has fever. Have braces and frequently gets cold sores. Noticed swelling in the area. Suggest?

My son has painful swelling on the roof of his mouth just behind his upper molars. It's been a couple of days and he now has a fever. He does have braces and frequently gets cold sores, but this is the first time he's had pain and swelling in this area, and the fever indicates an infection. Any ideas what this might be, and should I take him to the pediatrician or dentist to have it checked out?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Delighted to be able to help.

The symptoms that your son has seems to be due to infection of tooth and surrounding tissues. Although it is the first time he's had pain and swelling, in this area this pathology is very frequent among childrens and adults.

I would recommend you to go to a pediatrician. He/she can prescribe him antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drug such as amoxicilline/clavulanate and ibuprofen. He should feel better with this preparation. After taking the antibiotic, if the pediatrician considers it appropriate, your son should be seen by a dentist.

I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

I wish you good health.