Having painful purplish lump on buttock cheek. Looks like bruise. Any solution?

I have a medium sized, oval-shaped, painful purplish lump on the inside of my left buttock cheek, fairly high up but not all the way to the tailbone. The surrounding skin is red. I am female, over 50. Have had two pararectal abcesses previously that required lancing and a couple of stiches. They were lower, however. This is a seemingly hairless area and almost looks like a bruise but has some lumpishness to its feel.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Based on the information provided by you, it may be a boil which is a localized infection in the skin that begins as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm, hard, and more tender. Eventually, the center of the boil softens and becomes filled with infection-fighting white blood cells from the bloodstream to eradicate the infection.
Home remedy for most boils is heat application, usually with hot soaks or hot packs. Antibiotics are often used to eliminate any accompanying bacterial infection, especially if there is an infection of the surrounding skin.
I advice you to see physician as for exact diagnosis it need to be examined and even the abscess has to be excluded.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.