Having painful lump in armpit. Discovered benign mass in breast. No cancer. Chances of mass becoming malignant?

I am a 39 year old female who presented with a painful lump in left armpit. A 13mm solid mass was discovered in my left breast during an ultrasound. The mass appears to be benign, but a biopsy has been ordered to rule out cancer. My question is this: does the painful lump in my armpit (which has been present for 8+ months) increase the likelihood that the breast mass is malignant?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

The painful lump may be or may not be related to the breast mass. However by default it would be assumed as a lymph node swelling called auxillary lymph node and tested for. Since it is painful it is mostly an inflammatory swelling than malignancy. IT should have been brought to the notice of the primary physician when you first noticed it. If the swelling appeared first and then the breast mass the suspicion increases amongst the doctor. They evaluate until it is found to be benign.

So let the complete evaluation be done.