Having painful lump between butt cheek. Burns while peeing. On antibiotic. How to get relief?

I have a painful lump between my butt cheek on the left side right beside my anal. It is very painful to sit or walk. When I pee it burns. I went to the doctor and they gave me antibiotics and said its a boil. I have been taking the medicine for a week and it has only gotten worse. It is still hard and painful I have tried sitting in hot water and even tried boil ease nothing is .
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hi there,

I'm sorry that you are in a lot of pain. Probably the hair follicle in the buttocks or anal region must have gotten infected and resulted in a boil. Rather than sitting in hot water etc, it would be better if you applied hot fomentation to the site of boil around 4 -5 times a day. Dip a cotton towel in hot water, wring it and apply it onto the boil intermittently. Do so for about 4-5 times in a day. I'm quite positive that you will get some relief.

Follow good perineal hygiene. After defecating , wash the anal region well with water and then keep it dry with the help of toilet paper.

You could also take over the counter medications like tylenol / brufen after food which will reduce the inflammation and thereby help in pain relief.

Drink plenty of water ,at least 8 glasses of water a day.

If it is a boil, it might soften after 3-4 days and develop a pus point , from which all the pus will be drained out.

If the pain is persisting and severe even after all these measures, please visit your physician once again.

Hope I have answered your query. In case you don't have any further queries , kindly accept my answer.

Any reviews are welcome.

Get well soon.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan