Having painful feet with tingling sensation all over body. What can be done?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had a very painful foot for weeks now. Tingling started there and now I have it all over my body. Help
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 20 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Before I answer your query, I need some more detailed information on your symptoms to arrive at a possible diagnosis. Please answer the below mentioned questions -
* Exact location of pain in the foot?
* Any history of injury (twist,fall) ?
* Any associated swelling, fever or pain in other joints?
* Is the pain present continuously or is related to any particular movement of foot?
* Is the pain present even at rest?
* Are you a diabetic ? If yes, since how many years?
* Please detail the list of medicines you are taking?
* Pattern of tingling (where it starts , how it ascends, whether it is constant etc)
* Are you experiencing any weakness in the upper and lower limbs?
* Any habits like smoking or alcoholism?

Follow-up: Having painful feet with tingling sensation all over body. What can be done? 9 minutes later
I suffer from crohns and osteo arthritas. I take pentasa for the Crohns. I take statins. I also take pill for raised blood pressure under control. I take tramadol for arthritas pain. pain in foot started in toes. Have had an x XXXXXXX and am waiting for mri.
Tingling with pain in foot all the time

I am not diabetic as far as I am aware. Not smoked for 30 yrs. No alcohol probs. I have swollen joints in my hands and I suffer from osteo narcrosis in left knee, same leg as pain in foot. No injury as far as i know.

Sorry I keep forgetting things. My foot is swollen as well. If I sit with feet up the swelling goes down a little.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 12 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for getting back.

Sorry for the delayed response as there was a technical snag on this site.

Well, taking into consideration all your answers, Your foot pain and tingling could be due to the following possibilities -
* LUMBAR DISC DISEASE - presents as pain in the foot along with tingling and numbness. But this should not produce any swelling in the foot. Also you should have a bit of accompanied back pain.
* Your foot pain could be a part of generalised OSTEOARTHRITIS which is commonly seen at your age. The swelling of foot can be PHYSIOLOGICAL dependent oedema which typically occurs during prolonged standing and sitting and will resolve when the foot is elevated.
* INFLAMMATORY ARTHRITIS - usually involves multiple joints (as in your case foot and hand joints) which pain, swelling with limitation of movements at the affected joints. There are numerous causes of inflammatory arthritis which needs hematological investigations to pin point the diagnosis.

So I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed workup and further management.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Good day