Ask a Urologist   »  

Having painful erection. Noticed swollen ligament on shaft. Suggest

Jul 2016

Last night I woke up with a painful erection. In the morning I noticed a swollen ligament or vien ( feels harder) on the right side of my shaft closer to the base. It is slightly tender to the touch. I have no other symptoms.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have a tender vein over shaft of the penis Most likely it is a a engorged dorsal vein of the penis.
I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me to make comments on your problem.
1) Did you have rough vigorous dry sex yesterday.?
2) Do you have any urinary problem apart from pain in penis on erection.?

The final diagnosis can be confirmed only on clinical examination by a qualified Urologist and on Colour Doppler study of Penile Vessels.

Please consult qualified urologist for clinical assessment and get the test done as per his advice to confirm the diagnosis.

Do not worry this is not a serious problem and get cured within a week by taking anti inflammatory medicines and pain killers.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Having painful erection. Noticed swollen ligament on shaft. Suggest 21 minutes later
Yes,this past Tuesday I had intercourse. Wednesday and Thursday the area was tender to the touch but not hard. Last night after the erection while I was asleep is when I woke up wirh the pain and felt the vein. It kind of bulges out . When I am flacid it is closer to the base of my penis. When erect it is toward the middle of the shaft. I have never had this happen before. My urine is normal and no pain when going. I will take an antiinflamitory and give it a week to see if it improves. Is this common? I did notice my erection was harder than normal at that time and was stretching quite a bit. A GP on this sight said it was an infection of some sort. Not an STD though. Said to use a steroid cream. I did shave real close with a razor on Tuesday.
When I push on it it feels like a bruise
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for follow up.
It is not any infection at all. Do not worry it will get resolved with anti inflammatory medication .
Do not use steroid cream else you can apply Thrombophob ointment to prevent thrombosis
It will get cured in a week.
Thanks and Regards.
Follow-up: Having painful erection. Noticed swollen ligament on shaft. Suggest 2 days later
Dr. XXXXXXX is it a dorsal vein if it is not directly on top of my penis? It is on the right side and curves from the top side around to the bottom at the base while flacid. It appears to move to the middle of my shaft when erect. Also their is no color like some of the veins on my penis. The tenderness seems to have gone away.
It feels like a vein or cord that is about an inch long when I rub my finger down it. . Seems to start at the top and end underneath my penis in the middle of the shaft.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
It is one of the superficial tributaries (Branch) of dorsal venous plexus situated at the base of penis.
The thrombus (Blood Clot) takes 4-6 weeks to get absorbed, continue taking anti inflammatory medication.
Do not worry it is bound to get cured and become normal.
Thanks and Regards.