Having painful bruised in foot. What is causing this white area?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I severely bruised the bottom of my foot. there is a white area in the middle of the bruise that seems to be the most painful area. Can you tell me perhaps, what would cause the white area?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: Having painful bruised in foot. What is causing this white area? 1 hour later
I do not have texting capability on my cell phone. So pls reply via e-mail only. Thank you.. XXXXXXX Snider ( YYYY@YYYY )
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
I have seen the picture attached with the query. The central white area seems to be a bit raised too. Since the area is painful, it is suggestive of an infection. This needs aspiration by a needle to see if there is any pus formation inside. Systemic antibiotics are also needed to prevent the infection.
You need to consult your physician for appropriate management.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having painful bruised in foot. What is causing this white area? 25 minutes later
I am not a Doctor, but the white area was immediately there from the time of the injury which occurred on Friday evening (7/6/12). I have difficulty understanding how it could get infected within a matter of minutes and exhibit any evidence of infection in such a brief time frame. To me, it appears that the white area is part of the trauma that resulted from this injury and perhaps could even signify a fracture.
The white area may have some liquid in it from an edemic reflex. It was a severe hit. I stumbled coming out of the shower and stomped my foot down on the shower threshold that had a vertical metal seal, in an attempt to regain my balance, in which I was unsuccessful.
I will try to aspirate the area with a sterilized needle to see if I can lessen the swelling that you so clearly observed. Thank you Dr. Tayal.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the area appeared within minutes after injury then infection is not likely. The swelling is likely to be due to edema.
Doing a hot fomentation in the area will help in relieving the pain and decreasing the inflammatory swelling.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.