Having painful and sore nose. No swelling. Getting running nose. Have Fibromyalgia and Psoriatic Arthritis. Sinus infection?

ENT Specialist

I woke up yesterday morning with a really painful nose like someone had punched me during the night. It is really sore at the top of the nose, the bone part but not the top of the nose and tonight the pain is worse. Its really painful to touch both left and right and even wriggling my nose hurts. There's no swelling but have been getting runny noses (which is normal for me this time of year) as the weather is really cold at the moment, no congestion or pain around the eyes. Even wearing my glasses is painful.
I have Fibromyalgia and was just diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis a few weeks ago. Have been on Methotrexate for nearly 3 weeks now with no side effects as yet. Could I have a sinus infection??
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. If there are no outward signs of infection or inflammation, then this may be due to persistent colds and sinusitis.

2. Other possible causes include skin, soft tissue infections, inflammation of the bone and cartilage and referred pain sensations from nearby areas.

3. Methotrexate may lower the WBC (White Blood Cell) Count and make you more prone to infections.

4. I recommend that you avoid treating this on your own and seek professional advice.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.