Ask a Urologist   »  

Having painful and burning urination and weakness. Related to kidney infection?

My mother believes she has a kidney infection. She doesn't have health insurance and cannot afford to go to the doctor. She has all normal signs of a kidney, bladder or uti (painful urination, burning during urination, burning all of the time, weakness); it has been going on for 2 weeks now. Last night she had severe achy-ness in her hips and legs and couldn't stand up for very long. She is taking anitbiotics that she has from the past. I am concerned that there is more going on than the infection... is it common to have severe hip and leg achy-ness from a uti or kidney infection? She is very weak and says that she cannot stand very long at all
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Renal infection is not likely to be associated with a pain in the hip or leg. It is more likely to be due to a calcium or magnesium or vitamin D 3 deficiency.
Also, if the symptoms of urinary infection are not improving after taking antibiotics then she needs to get a urine culture sensitivity done so that proper antibiotic can be given to control the infection.
She can also start with a mild pain killer like acetaminophen and get her serum electrolytes and vitamin D3 levels evaluated after consulting a physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.