Having painful UTI and taking nitrofurantoin. Intense pain in abdomen. Is it the right medication?

hi I have a painful uti and have been given nitrofurantoin but I have been feeling intense pain In my left side of my abdomen and was wondering if I could have a kidney infection and is this medicine suitable
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute UTI causes pain

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

An extreme case of UTI can cause pain as well as renal stones. Your urine culture will have shown sensitivity to nitrofurantoin. Hence the drug has been prescribed to you. If so, then it will help clear any infection. Drink plenty of fluids. At least 3-4 lit of water a day. If a culture hasn't been done, I suggest doing it.