Having pain while swallowing. IgE, ESR, CBC tests done. What could be the reason?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
High I am 32. I have pain while swallowing. I am high IgE 575 and high ESR 42. In CBC other things are normal. What does it suggest?
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 56 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Do you have fever or recent weight loss ?

Any running nose, skin dryness or itching, asthma, cough, wheeze ?

Can any swellings in the neck or any other regions be felt ?

Pain while swallowing can be due to various causes. Usually tonsillitis or pharyngitis can lead to pain on swallowing.

Regarding IgE levels, kindly state the reference range which will usually be mentioned next to your observed value IgE level. This tends to differ among laboratories. Normal IgE is usually upto 592 or 595. Hence, the result may not be significant to cause worry.

The ESR is high in your case. This can be due to many reasons. ESR does not point to a diagnosis but can only be used as a therapeutic effect yardstick to find out if treatment is working for a particular disease. Usually ESR is raised in chronic inflammatory diseases like Tuberculosis, Connective tissue disorders, Autoimmune disorders like SLE etc.

Kindly avoid eating hot food or drinking hot fluids. Consume XXXXXXX warm food and drinks. Eat a balanced diet, XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do daily brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes a day. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily.

You may do steam inhalation and salt water gargling for relief from throat pain.

Since CBC is normal, not to worry. Kindly get investigated for possible Tuberculosis and Connective tissue disorders to find the cause of ESR raise.

Get an ENT Doctor consult to find the cause for your pain on swallowing. After correct diagnosis, the best treatment can be started for cure.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Having pain while swallowing. IgE, ESR, CBC tests done. What could be the reason? 18 minutes later
A:- There is no weight loss.

A:- There is little cough and sometime running nose if expose to some condition like dust or smoke.

A:- Swelling is felt only in the upper part of the neck. But there are some ulcer in the mouth which are keep coming and heal at there usual time.

The IgE range given report is 11 - 162.9 and ESR range is 1 - 10.
I am taking medicines for the tonsills

Thanks for the reply

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply.

According to your history it appears you may be suffering from allergic attacks since you get running nose often. This can be part of Allergic rhinitis which is also associated with nose blocks often.

The swelling in the upper part of neck can be due to possible lymph nose enlargement which can be seen in certain throat infections or tonsillitis.

Since you have frequent mouth ulcers, this can also cause lymph node swelling in upper part of neck.

The high IgE levels suggests the possible allergic disease. In such cases, you may need anti-histamine medication to control allergic attacks.

Main part of treatment is avoiding the substances you are allergic to.

Avoid cold weather, smoke, dust, pollution, pollen in or near gardens. You may use handkerchief to avoid exposure to pollutants.

Continue taking the medication prescribed for tonsil problem. This should give relief in a week. Kindly follow above mentioned precautions as well for faster recovery.

Wishing speedy recovery.