Having pain under shoulder blades. Hurts with breathing and causes cough. Have shortness of breath and asthma. Advise?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
I am experiencing sharp pain under my shoulder blades more to the left side, and when I breathe in it hurts and makes me cough. Almost like I have shortness of breath. Its also affecting my lefft arm making it hard to move. I have asthma which is induced by cough and am just getting over all of that. I am concerned about this pain which is getting worse. Please give me your input.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 37 minutes later
Thank you for your question to Healthcare Magic.
There are number of possible causes for this pain. It could be the start of a chest infection particularly if you have recently had a bad bout of asthma. It may be a small pneumothorax. This is when an area of the lung deflates. This would cause pain and a difficulty in breathing. Also, it could be a small blood clot. This would cause the symptoms you have. As you have had an episode of your asthma then you may have strained a muscle in your chest with coughing. This can result in significant pain and shortness of breath.
I would recomend you see your doctor so you can be examined which may help make the diagnosis.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Having pain under shoulder blades. Hurts with breathing and causes cough. Have shortness of breath and asthma. Advise? 59 minutes later
thank you for your insightful feedback. I will call and schedule an appointment with my family doctor.

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later
I hope you are soon back to good health.
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Having pain under shoulder blades. Hurts with breathing and causes cough. Have shortness of breath and asthma. Advise? 13 minutes later
Thank you, I hope so too! I called my respiratory specialist and they couldn't see me but suggested I go to an urgent care facility or to the ER because of the shortness of breath. I am feeling so tired but I will go after work at 4pm. Hopefully they can find what's causing all of this.

Thank you again,

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 8 hours later
I wish you well and thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA