Having pain under ribs and around back. Cannot lay on back. Remedy?

Hi, I am 42 years old, I have two kids 8 & 7. I have not taken a pregnancy test, but I look "bloated" all the time - this has bee going on for the last 3-4 months. I was able to suck it in, but now - not so much. I am 5-9 and 135 lbs. I've had pain under my ribs, just around onto my back, on my right side for this time. I cannot lay on my back or my right side as the pain worsens. If, during the night I do, then I wake up in an awful pain where it is hard to turn over out of that position. Occasionally the pain comes around to the front under my right breast but it is not as sharp or long lasting. Our insurance does not pay for 'check-ups' and we have very little ' extra money ' . Thank you.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 33 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Please answer the following:
1. Besides position changes, does anything else make the pain worse?
2. Can you push on an exact 'point' where the ribs hurt?
3. When was the last time you had imaging of the chest?

Thank you!
Follow-up: Having pain under ribs and around back. Cannot lay on back. Remedy? 13 minutes later
It hurts worse lying down or sitting than when I'm standing. I can put my right hand over the area - but it's not a small point. The area that hurts is about the same size as the 'finger area' of my hand, and yes -I can push on it- it hurts more. My last CT scan was in April
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Thank you for the followup.

First, I do not consider that the evaluation of this complaint by a doctor would be construed as a "check up". There is nothing routine about it!. You have an extremely serious history of sarcoma with chemo, and surgery involving the thoracic cavity. In all honesty, this needs to be evaluated in terms of this history and making sure that there is no concern regarding recurrence or bony involvement (i.e the ribs).

While this might simply represent inflammation that could be treated with Ibuprofen like medications, it really needs to be evaluated with an exam and in person (even though you had a clean evaluation in April)

Finally, if you are having symptoms of pregnancy (bloating) and are at risk for getting pregnant, then you absolutely need to do a test now. Also, you should talk with your doctor about whether or not you should be on birth control if you are truly at risk for pregnancy.

I am sorry that I cannot help you more - with your history you must get evaluated by your doctor.
Follow-up: Having pain under ribs and around back. Cannot lay on back. Remedy? 3 hours later
Thank you for your time and information. I am on birth control - ortho tricyclyne (sp?) but my last 3 periods have been odd for me, very light and darker colored. I will get an appointment scheduled.

Thank you.
You are very welcome.

Ortho tricyclen is a common birth control pill. It does, though vary in terms of the amount of hormone that you get throughout the month. In women who are experiencing abnormal bleeding on the pill, they often do better with a "monophasic" pill, such as ortho-cyclen.

Thank you for getting in to see your doctor. I think that this is the best approach. If there are any additional questions, please let me know.