Having pain under ribs. CT scan showed collapsed gallbladder. What are the treatment available?

Jan 2013

i have been having alot of pain on my right side just under my ribs extending to my back, had a ct scan 2days ago and it showed my gallbladder was collapsed, no stones, also lots of fatty tissue around liver, as well as a touch of arthurits, my family Dr has never had a case of collapsed gallbladder or arthritis in the stomach. I have been in and out of ER room since September of 2012 with this pain, and getting worse, I have been, at times, passing bile & throwing up bile. What is a collpased gallbladder and its treatment?
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Collapsed or contracted gall bladder is not s disease; its just a radiological finding in ultrasound imaging.
The gall bladder is a hollow structure that hold bile until it is needed to help digest fat. When the stomach senses that a fatty meal has been consumed it send a signal to the gall bladder to contract and expel its bile. The gall bladder being collapsed just means that it is contracted down.
Arthritis is a disease involving joints not the stomach.

Let me know the associated features along with right upper quadrant pain.
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal heaviness/ excessive flatulence?
Is there any aggravating or relieving factor for abdominal pain?
Are you getting fever right now(may be a feature of diverticulitis)?
Are you an alcoholic or a smoker?

With the available described symptomatology, there may be possibilities of pancreatitis or partially treated persistent gastroenteritis.
Presence of loose stools . blood and gastric problems (as mentioned by you) suggest the diagnosis.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete hemogram, liver function test (fatty liver in CT scan), serum lipase and amylase, stool examination.
You should take complete antibiotic course, probiotics, antispasmodics.
You should take soft bland diet with avoidance of oily and spicy food, citrus fruits, tomatoes and tea & coffee.
If your condition won't improve after taing antispasmodics then only you should take tramadol on written prescription from your treating doctor.

If all these investigations are found to be normal then there may be possibility of IBS (as already mentioned by you).
Then you should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and psychiatrist simultaneously.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava