Having pain under breast after falling on back. What is the remedy?

I am 62 annd fell on my back and hit my head on ice 2 days ago went by ambulance to er. They were very concerned with head and neck injuries so I was given cat scan and was told spine ok and no bleeding in brain. I called hospital today because I am having pain under right breast through to back. I wanted to know if the cat would have shown beyond neck and head they said no. Would you think this might be my ribs?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibly, yes Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the fall you suffered and the current chest pain. Considering the fall and chest pain, it could be that you injured a structure in the chest. However, I cannot for sure say whether it is the rib or not be it is certainly a structure there which is responsible for the pain. We have the skin, muscles and bones(ribs) at this point. Trauma to either structure could be responsible for the pain. A good clinical exam would be able to make the difference between a fractured rib and pain origination fro the soft tissues. A follow up xray may be required if the difference is not very clear. In either case, the most important thing is to get the pain controlled. Even most fractures of the rib do not need surgery and are still managed in very much the same way as pain from soft tissues unless they constitute a threat to surrounding structures. This is clearly not the case with you. A trial of Tylenol and ibuprofen would be able to receive you of these pains if you do not have any contraindication to these. Applying ice packs to these areas would also be a great idea. If the pains should persist beyond 5days, then seeking additional medical care would be encouraged. I hope you find this response helpful. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information or clarifications if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.