Having pain under armpit. Hurts with breathing and cough. Have shortness of breath, nauseous and fatigue. Advise?

Ive been having constant pain in my left armpit and the pain is more intense when i breath in or cough its also causing shortness of breath occasionally. It seems to be getting worse and now nearly everyday i feel nauseous and fatigue. I'm a nurse and tend to procrastinate and attempted to diagnosis myself but i cant seem to figure out what is wrong with me and it seems to be getting worse. Should i be concerned?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I would love to ask a few questions with respect to your past medical history.

What are your recent Blood Pressure levels, ? Any history of heart disease? Any history of a recent change your position in bed? Are you coughing or not?

The pain you describe could either be a simple mechanical pain, of respiratory origin, like an inflammation of the lungs (pleuritis from a viral infection, TB), asthma in case of any past history of this condition. The pain being felt in the shoulder is common under such conditions.

Secondly, a cardiac origin of this pain should not be excluded. I would love you to precise if you have controlled your blood sugar lately to know if it is normal or abnormal. With a past history of smoking, these constitute cardiovascular risk factors. It is not uncommon to experience some atypical presentations of ischaemic heart disease that could present as such.

Pericarditis (inflammation of the heart covering membrane) depending on the stage. It presents classically as you describe. Generally of viral origin. But rarely seen at times in systemic diseases and Tuberculosis.

My suggestions is getting a good clinical examination carried out by your internist. A chest X XXXXXXX an Electrocardiogramme with a cardiac ultrasound should be sufficient to orient an appropriate diagnosis and propose a good treatment plan.

Feel free asking further questions if need be. I will be honored making suggestion to improve your health. Best regards as I wish you good health.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Having pain under armpit. Hurts with breathing and cough. Have shortness of breath, nauseous and fatigue. Advise? 28 minutes later
no history of heart disease. blood sugars are normal range. blood pressure always runs low..sometimes too low. im extremely tired all the time lately. swollen lymph nodes in throat and armpit. loss of appetite also. the pain under my arm has been constant for about two months now and consistently continues to get worse and increase in pain. i only smoked occasionally. for a few yrs.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The precisions are very important. It s important to know that your blood glucose is normal. The lymph nodes, loss of appetite, nausea and fatigue constitute a syndrome that deserves a keen evaluation. Two main conditions must be absolutely excluded: Tuberculosis and a Tumor. It s mandatory to do a chest X XXXXXXX a sputum examination, lymph node biopsy are important to evaluate these conditions. A complete blood count, Erythrocyte Sedimentation rate, C reactive protein, Serum uric acid are important in the evaluation.

I suggest you consult for proper diagnosis of the low blood pressure and evaluation of these condition. Tuberculous pericarditis and lung disease must be excluded. I suggest you consult absolutely an internist or cardiologist for a proper evaluation.

Feel free asking further questions if need be.

Thanks and best regards ,

Bain LE, MD.