Having pain on the left side of stomach near spleen or kidney. Is pain related to Hep c?

Gastroenterologist
Question
writing the query after long time.... From feb 2012 ,, till today all parameters of liver were ok ... I have checked 3-4 times in between. However from day before yesterday , i am having a pain on the left side of the stomach the position where spleen or left kidney is .. Is this pain related to Hep c ..... Or it is pain orginating from some other sources. My motions , are ok and regular . There is no acidity and liver parameters seems to be ok with urine as good as white.... Also suggest how to reduce the pain ......
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

Pain in the left side of upper abdomen can be due to problems in stomach, spleen, left kidney, pancreas , left lobe of liver, muscles or ribs. I understand you have pain only for two days. It certainly is not due to hepatitis C. Why do you think of hepatitis C in particular?

I have few question regarding the pain, so that we can try to pinpoint what organ it may relate to. Does it increase or decrease after meals. Does it radiates to back or in the lower abdomen. Do you have any associated urinary problem like frequency of urine or burning in urine. Is there any bowel irregularity. Do you take alcohol. Let me know about these.

For the meanwhile you can take some anti-acid preparation like pantaprazole 40 mg twice a day before meals along with some pain relieving medicine like cyclopam twice or thrice a day.

If the pain continues then probably you should consult a local physician, who may then advise you investigations like ultrasound abdomen, upper GI endoscopy and few blood tests for further evaluation of the cause of pain.

Hope my suggestions help you.

With best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Having pain on the left side of stomach near spleen or kidney. Is pain related to Hep c? 2 hours later
Does it increase or decrease after meals. ( No ) Does it radiates to back or in the lower abdomen. (No) Do you have any associated urinary problem like frequency of urine or burning in urine. ( Frequency of urine is more in night particulary when i am putting up AC 4-5 times in night , slight buring sensation yesterday but not today ) Is there any bowel irregularity (No) . Do you take alcohol. Let me know about these. ( Take 30 ml diluted with 180 Ml once in a month) Needless to mention to you you is i am hep c patient....

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 6 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

The only positive symptom you have is of urinary frequency and slight burning. hence it is possible that this pain may be related to left kidney. If the pain persists then you should get it investigated after consulting a physician in your area.

This is definitely not because of hepatitis C virus.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh singal

Follow-up: Having pain on the left side of stomach near spleen or kidney. Is pain related to Hep c? 4 minutes later
thanks for your quick reply...... so for many days i have to wait more , before i go for a chek up ... Today pain is there but its slightly less.......

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 2 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

If the pain is less then you can wait. But certainly if it persists or recurs then you should get investigated.

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Having pain on the left side of stomach near spleen or kidney. Is pain related to Hep c? 8 minutes later
do do you think this pain is caused by some urinary infection

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 45 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Not necessarily. As I have already written that there can be many reasons for this pain. Urinary infection is just one of them. It can be because you also have urinary symptoms, but there can be other causes.

Dr Dinesh Singal