Having pain on neck. How to overcome this?

From last four five days I am having pain on rigjt side of neck, slightly down Today morning it was bit too much. If I am turning my neck on left side, then it pains.
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stiff neck is a possibility

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms you have mentioned seem to be related to a stiff neck. Other possibility can be due to cervical spondylosis. If you do not have pain in the neck for long time, then this could be ruled out.

The cause for your pain, as I see it, could be simple stress or sprain of the neck muscles. This can happen when an abnormal posture is maintained while at work or at home or during sleep.

You can do the following for relief.
- Tab. Brufen 400mg, twice daily for 3 days, after food.
- Application of pain balm in the area.
- Application of warm compression in the area.
- Avoid weight lifting.
- Slow massaging and stretching of the neck muscles.

If the pain does not subside after following the above, within 3 days, then you will need to consult your family physician for an evaluation and further management.

Hope this addresses your concern. Let me know if I can assist you further.