Having pain on left side and breasts. Feeling nausea. Worried about heart problem?

I woke early this morning with a very unpleasant pain on my left hand side under my left breast. It was an ache accompanied with a squeezing/pressure type feeling. I tried laying on my back in case I had just been sleeping in an awkward position but this did not help. So I got up and made myself a drink. My stomach also felt unsettled, almost as if I were about to get nausea or diarrhea and I had a general uneasy feeling. Since then I have experienced a pain in my jaw both sides going up to just under ear level, a cross between an ache and a stinging pain. That pain will not go but the chest discomfort has gone.

I am concerned as there is a family history of heart problems, and my father was rushed to hospital last week with a heart attack and had to have a stent put in. His symptoms were similar in that he just felt discomfort, but was not in agonising pain.

I have been through a prolonged period of stress (death in the family, marriage breakdown and now my father's illness). I am wondering if this could have hastened the onset of a heart problem.

I am 34 years old, female, non smoker, drinker. I had an aunt who suffered her first heart attack in her mid 30's and she had a fatal one in her 50's.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later

Irrespective of presence or absence of risk factors acute cardiac event (acute angnia) can take place in a given patient and can be 100% ruled out only after examination, serial ECGs and observation. However I would like to share following facts.
Normally stinging pain is not a characteristic of heart disease, neither anginal heart disease is known to occur in a non-diabetic, non smoker female who is having normal menstrual cycle.
However, on the other hand, pain in jaw, a strong family history and recent psychological trauma are all adverse factors in your case.
Overall, still, likelihood of this episode to be acute angina is less but since we want to be 100% sure I would like you to go to ER and get yourself examined and get an ECG.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sukhvinder Singh