Having pain on breast during period. Should I consult a doctor?

Hi I have had a aching pain just above my right breast I do notice it hurts when I have my period and I've had a feel and it does feel quite firm compared to the left side please help and it is tender when I press on it.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
You need to be examined by a medical professional. Cyclical breast pain does occur with periods.Thats easily managed with medication. But as you have mentioned,there is tenderness, in which case abscess needs to be ruled out. An infected abscess can cause tenderness,swelling,redness etc and will need antibiotics. Fibroadenoma, fibroadenosis etc are other possible causes. You definitely should be checked out by a physician to rule out fibroadenoma and abscess. You may also need a ultrasound breast to confirm. Start primrose oil tablets daily and have yourself examined.
Follow-up: Having pain on breast during period. Should I consult a doctor? 22 hours later
Hi thanks I have made an appointment with my GP I also have a weird sensation in my left arm too would this suggest something? I don't have any redness or swelling and the pain isn't as bad today as it was yesterday? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later
The pain in your arm could be nerve related, muscular, or even due to the fibrosis in the breast. You will get a better picture after examination.